After graduating as a specialist in diseases of the digestive system and blood in 1973, he served as Assistant and then as Senior Registrar at the Hemophilia Center of the Hematology Department of the University Hospital of Florence, Italy. In 1999, he was appointed Coordinator of the Inherited Bleeding Disorders Reference Center of Tuscany. In 2004, he was appointed as Director of HC, and moved to the Emergency Department. He was retired at the end of 2013.
He was a member of the Medical Advisory Board of the World Federation of Hemophilia (WFH), of the Editorial Board of JTH, and Co-chair of SSC FVIII/IX of ISTH. From 1986 to 2011, he was Vice-President of AICE, then President until the end of 2014. He has been a reviewer for the following journals: Blood, JTH, TH, Blood Transfusion, Blood and Fibrinolysis, Transfusion, and Haemophilia.
So far, he has published 204 papers in peer reviewed journals.
1. Morfini M. Innovative approach for improved rFVIII concentrate. Eur J Haematol. 2014 Apr 26
2. Morfini M, Batorova A, Mariani G, Auerswald G, Bernardi F, Di Minno G, Dolce A, Fede C, Giansily-Blaizot M, Ingerslev J, Martinowitz U, Napolitano M, Pinotti M, Schved JF; for the International FVII [IF7] and Seven Treatment Evaluation Registry [STER] Study Groups. Pharmacokinetic properties of recombinant FVIIa in inherited FVII deficiency account for a large volume of distribution at steady state and a prolonged pharmacodynamic effect. Thromb Haemost. 2014 Apr 24;112(2)
3. Hassan HJ, Morfini M, Taruscio D, Abbonizio F, Giampaolo A, Kodra Y, Oliovecchio E, Vittozzi L. Current status of Italian Registries on inherited bleeding disorders. Blood Transfus. 2014 Apr;12 Suppl 3:s576-81
4. Morfini M, Coppola A, Franchini M, Di Minno G. Clinical use of factor VIII and factor IX concentrates Blood Transfus. 2013 Sep;11 Suppl 4:s55-63.
5. Santagostino E, Negrier C, Klamroth R, Tiede A, Pabinger-Fasching I, Voigt C, Jacobs I, Morfini M. Safety and pharmacokinetics of a novel recombinant fusion protein linking coagulation factor IX with albumin (rIX-FP) in hemophilia B patients. Blood. 2012 Sep 20;120(12):2405-11.